Just for Fun Miscellaneous
Tanks Trains Contact
Notes: The four battleships ordered by the Royal Navy in the 1910 Program were to have been repeat ORIONs, but lessons learned from their predecessors allowed for some alterations to be made. Most notable was the relocation of the pole foremast ahead of the funnels, instead of between them. Consideration was made to upgrade the secondary battery to 6" guns, but as this would have not only added to the weight (by nearly 2,000 tons), but the overall cost, the 4" battery remained. This decision was soundly criticized, especially when it was compared to the secondary batteries being installed in foreign battleships. However, Lord Fisher believe that the volume of fire from the 4" guns would compensate for the smaller "hitting power" of each individual shell, and they were built with the 4" guns. Later, the criticism proved valid, and succeeding classes carried 6" guns in their secondary batteries. Deck armor in the KING GEORGE V class was improved over the ORION class, and the class was fitted with taller funnels. The 13.5" guns were upgraded, allowing them to fire a slightly heavier shell which aided in accuracy at longer ranges.
AJAX was commissioned for the 2nd Battle Squadron, Home Fleet, in October, 1913. In 1914, she joined the Grand Fleet. AJAX fought at Jutland on 31 May 1916. During the battle, she fired six - 13.5" rounds at the German 1st Scouting Group in a "ranging salvo"; while making corrections for subsequent salvos, her line of sight was blocked by the maneuvers of the 4th Light Cruiser Squadron. Subsequently, she never regained contact with her adversaries and no further fire was attempted. AJAX was transferred to the Mediterranean in 1918; and in 1919, AJAX served in support of the White Russians in the Black Sea. Following this service, AJAX returned to the Mediterranean Fleet. She returned to the Nore in 1924 and was put into reserve. AJAX was sold for breaking up in November, 1926.