Just for Fun Miscellaneous
Tanks Trains Contact
Sister ships: AEOLUS - c, ANDROMACHE*, BRILLIANT - c, INDEFATIGABLE - c (renamed MELPOMENE in 1910), INTREPID* - c, IPHIGENIA* - c, LATONIA*, MELAMPUS, NAIAD*, PIQUE - c, RAINBOW - c, RETRIBUTION - c, SAPHHO, SCYLLA, SIRIUS - c, SPARTAN - c (renamed DEFIANCE in 1921), SYBILLE, TERPISCHORE, THETIS*, TRIBUNE
Ships marked with * were converted to minelayers in 1907-10
Ships marked with a "c" were modified for tropical service (see Notes)
Notes: The 21 ships of this class were provided under the Naval Defence Act of 1889. Enlarged versions of the preceding MEDEA class, they were the first British "light" cruisers to be armed with only QF guns. The class was criticized for both lack of fore and aft firepower, as well as broadside firepower when compared to their contemporaries in other navies. They were regarded as good steamers, but were also regarded as wet ships and poor sea boats. Ten of the class (marked with a "c") were sheathed in wood and copper for tropical service; as a result, they were nearly 200 tons heavier and one knot slower in speed. After less than 14 years in service, APOLLO was laid up as out of commission in 1906. She was converted to a minelayer in 1909; operated out of Dover and Sheerness in 1914-15, then became a depot ship in the Mediterranean. APOLLO was sold for scrap and broken up in 1920.