Just for Fun Miscellaneous
Tanks Trains Contact
Notes: Built for the Cunard Line in 1905, CARMANIA the first "big liner" to have steam turbines replacing piston engines. Conversion to an armed merchant cruiser was completed on 14 August 1914, and following a week of gunnery practice, CARMANIA was assigned to Rear Admiral Christopher Cradock's 5th Cruiser Squadron and was sent to Venezuelan waters to search for German raiders. CARMANIA is most noted for her battle on 14 September, 1914, vs. German armed merchant cruiser CAP TRAFALGAR just off the Brazilian island of Trindade, in which the CARMANIA sunk the CAP TRAFALGAR after a hour-long fight. During that battle, CARMANIA fired 417 rounds at CAP TRAFALGAR, and had taken 79 hits herself; casualties numbered nine killed and 26 wounded (four critically). CARMANIA was later assigned to 10th Cruiser Squadron, patrolling between Scotland and Iceland.