Just for Fun Miscellaneous
Tanks Trains Contact
Notes: The CAROLINE class were an improvement on the preceding ARETHUSA class. They were ten feet longer, and with nearly three feet more beam, they were more stable gun platforms. One of the 4" guns was moved atop the after deckhouse, superimposed over the aft 6" gun, and an extra pair of 4" guns was mounted on the forecastle. CAROLINE was commissioned into the 4th Destroyer Flotilla, Grand Fleet, as flotilla leader. In February, 1915, she was transferred to the 1st Light Cruiser Squadron, and in November, 1915, she was transferred to the 4th LCS. CAROLINE was present at Jutland on 31 May 1916. Two of her crew were killed during a late evening action against German dreadnoughts; CAROLINE fired two torpedoes at the NASSAU, but both missed. Following repairs, she returned to service with the 4th LCS.
CAROLINE's forward pair of 4" mounts (generally found to be useless) were replace by a single 6" mount ca. 1916. A fourth 6" abaft the funnels at forecastle deck level a year later -- at the same time, the remaining 4" guns were removed and four more 21" TT (in twin mounts) were added. At the same time, the 13-pounder was removed and replaced by two 3" AA guns. In early 1918, CAROLINE was fitted with a forecastle runway for launching monoplanes; this was removed in late 1918. She was also fitted with High Speed Sweeps (explosive paravanes) for use against U-boats. Following the end of World War I, CAROLINE was grossly overweight and subsequently lightened by removing after control platform and all searchlights. She was then sent to the East Indies in June, 1919. In February, 1922, CAROLINE was paid off into Dockyard Control at Belfast, and in February, 1924, she became the harbor training ship for the Ulster Division RNVR at Belfast; most of her armament was removed, but she did retain a 6", three 4" and two 12-pounders. She served as the administrative center for escorts based at Londonderry in World War II, and was returned to Belfast at the end of hostilities. In 1951, CAROLINE was refitted at Harland and Wolff, and was still in existence circa 1984.