Just for Fun Miscellaneous
Tanks Trains Contact
Notes: The CAROLINE class were an improvement on the preceding ARETHUSA class. They were ten feet longer, and with nearly three feet more beam, they were more stable gun platforms. One of the 4" guns was moved atop the after deckhouse, superimposed over the aft 6" gun, and an extra pair of 4" guns was mounted on the forecastle. CLEOPATRA joined the 5th Light Cruiser Squadron, Harwich Force, on completion in August, 1915. While serving with the Harwich Force, she received a flying-off platform on the forecastle for launching French monoplanes against German Zeppelins; this platform was removed in early 1916. CLEOPATRA replaced the lost ARETHUSA as Commodore Tyrwhitt's flagship in February, 1916. She covered the Tondern Raid on 24 March 1916, during which she rammed and sank the German torpedo boat G 194, and suffered serious damage in a collision with the British light cruiser UNDAUNTED. Upon return to service, CLEOPATRA was in action against German destroyers on 18 July 1916, and was mined off Thornton Ridge on 4 August 1916. While repairs were being made, her forward pair of 4" mounts (generally found to be useless) were replace by a single 6" mount. A fourth 6" abaft the funnels at forecastle deck level a year later -- at the same time, the remaining 4" guns were removed and four more 21" TT (in twin mounts) were added. The 13-pounder was also removed, and two 4" AA and two 2-pounder AA guns were added. In August, 1918, CLEOPATRA was made the Flagship of the 7th LCS, Grand Fleet. She joined the 2nd LCS, Harwich Force, in April, 1919, and was sent to Baltic in 1919-20. CLEOPATRA was then returned to home waters and assigned to the 2nd LCS, Atlantic Fleet until paid off into the Nore Reserve in 1921. She served temporarily with the 3rd LCS in 1923, then went into reserve at Devonport in 1924. She was recommissioned for the 2nd LCS, Atlantic Fleet in January, 1925. In December, 1926, CLEOPATRA was once again placed in the Nore Reserve, where she served as the SNO's ship from September 1928 through March, 1931. CLEOPATRA was paid off at Chatham into dockyard control in March, 1931, and subsequently sold for breaking up.