Just for Fun Miscellaneous
Tanks Trains Contact
Notes: The CAROLINE class were an improvement on the preceding ARETHUSA class. They were ten feet longer, and with nearly three feet more beam, they were more stable gun platforms. One of the 4" guns was moved atop the after deckhouse, superimposed over the aft 6" gun, and an extra pair of 4" guns was mounted on the forecastle. CORDELIA joined the 1st Light Cruiser Squadron in January, 1915. She was present at Jutland on 31 May 1916, but saw no significant action. Her forward pair of 4" mounts (generally found to be useless) were replace by a single 6" mount ca. 1916. A fourth 6" abaft the funnels at forecastle deck level a year later -- at the same time, the remaining 4" guns were removed and four more 21" TT (in twin mounts) were added, and a single 4" AA gun was added. CORDELIA served with the 4th LCS, 1917 through April, 1919. In 1919, CORDELIA received two 3" AA guns, and two 2-pounder AA guns on the centerline of her shelter deck. She was attached to the Devonport Gunnery School in June, 1919, then was placed into the Nore Reserve. CORDELIA was recommissioned into the 2nd LCS, Atlantic Fleet and was on patrol off the Irish coast during the civil war in 1922. In December, 1922, CORDELIA was placed in the Nore Reserve once again. She was sold for breaking up in July, 1923.