Just for Fun Miscellaneous
Tanks Trains Contact
Pennant Number: 21
Notes: The SOUTHAMPTON class were larger than the preceding ARETHUSA class and more in line with light cruisers being built by other navies. The 6" triple mountings were capable of 45° elevation. The armored belt was raised to the upper deck as in the PERTH class light cruisers, but was more extensive along the waterline (although it did not cover the 6" ammunition spaces). There was a hangar behind the bridge which could store two aircraft, and an athwartships catapult was mounted. Tactical diameter was 780 yards at 14 knots. During World War II, all of the class had their AA armaments augmented, and all except SOUTHAMPTON (which had been sunk in 1941) had their "X" turret removed and replaced with additional AA guns.
In 1939, GLASGOW transported a large quantity of gold to the United States (to be stored at Fort Knox). During the Norway Campaign in April, 1940, GLASGOW evacuated King Haakon and Crown Prince Olav of Norway and Norwegian gold reserves, escaping the advancing German forces in their country. By November, 1940, GLASGOW had been transferred to the Mediterranean. While at port at Suda Bay, Crete on 9 December 1940, GLASGOW was attacked by Italian aircraft and hit by two airborne torpedoes and heavily damaged. However, following temporary repairs at Alexandria, she was able to steam at 16 knots and pressed back into service. GLASGOW sailed to the East Indies, and had further repairs at Singapore. Following service in the Indian Ocean, GLASGOW sailed to the United States for full repairs, which took until early in 1942 to complete. On 28 December 1943, GLASGOW and the light cruiser ENTERPRISE engaged a force of four German destroyers escorting blockade runners off the coast of France and sunk three of them (Z-27, T-25 and T-26). GLASGOW supplied naval gunfire support during the Normandy landings in June, 1944.
Following World War II, GLASGOW served in both the East and West Indies, and was transferred to the Mediterranean in 1951, where she became Flagship of the Mediterranean Fleet. She returned to Home Waters in 1955, and following further service, she was placed on the disposal list in November, 1956. GLASGOW was broken up at Bltyh in July, 1958.