Just for Fun Miscellaneous
Tanks Trains Contact
Notes: The eight ships of the KING EDWARD VII class were ordered in three separate groups in the period 1901-1904. They were the first Royal Navy battleships to mount the 9.2" gun in their secondary armaments. As it turned out, this jump to 9.2" guns proved to be problematic in action, as the difference in splashes between the 12" guns of the main battery and the 9.2" guns of the secondary was very small, which made gunlaying corrections very difficult. This difficulty gave impetus to the development of the "all-big-gun" type both in England and in other navies. They were also the first class to have fire control positions on both masts, in place of the "fighting tops" found in the older ships.
The KING EDWARD VII class was over 1,000 tons heavier than the preceding DUNCAN class. This increase in weight was not only due to increased size, but also due to an increase in the armor; the casemate protection of the 6" guns was abandoned in favor of a central battery layout. The armor here was 7" thick, and increased the area covered by one deck higher than in the DUNCAN class. The machinery installed in the eight ships differed greatly, as the entire class served as "test beds" for varying combinations of boilers. However, they all exceeded their design speeds on trials. They had very good turning circles (noted as being as little as 340 yards at 15 knots). But their balanced rudders (the first installed in front-line ships since the 1870's) did not function as desired; it proved to be difficult to steer a steady course, and the subsequent, nearly-constant corrections that had to be made earned the class the nickname "The Wobbly Eight". The KING EDWARD VII class were noted as being good gun platforms, but with a lower freeboard, they were noted as being wet ships in heavy weather.
Upon her commissioning, HIBERNIA served with the Atlantic Fleet. In early 1907, she was transferred to the Channel Fleet as flagship of its Vice Admiral. In March, 1909 HIBERNIA was transferred to the Home Fleet as Flagship of the Rear Admiral of the 2nd Division. She was placed in reserve at the Nore with a small reserve crew in January, 1912. In May, 1912 HIBERNIA was used for experiments with early naval aircraft and had a wooden flight deck constructed on her forecastle. On 4 May 1912, Commander Charles Samson became the first man to take off from a ship which was underway. He did this in a Shorts S27 biplane while HIBERNIA steamed at 10.5 knots at the Royal Fleet Review in Weymouth Bay, England. When World War I broke out, HIBERNIA was assigned to the 3rd Battle Squadron, Grand Fleet. In October, 1915 HIBERNIA was sent to the Dardanelles as Rear Admiral Fremantle's flagship, returning to home waters in May, 1916. During a refit in 1917, her 6" inch guns were removed from their casemates, and replaced with four on the higher shelter deck. But in October, 1917, she was placed in the Reserve. At the end of the war, HIBERNIA returned to the Nore where she was used as an accommodation ship until she was sold for scrap in November, 1921.