Bibliography     Games     Home     Just for Fun     Miscellaneous     Planes     Ships     Tanks     Trains     Contact Me

 

IDAHO  BB-24

   (later - KILKIS)

 

Nationality:

United States

Type: B
Class: MISSISSIPPI -- two in class
Builder: William Cramp and Sons, Philadelphia, PA
Commissioned: April, 1908
Displacement: 13,000 tons

Dimensions: (in feet and inches)

382' x 77' x 24' 8"
Armor:
PLACEMENT THICKNESS
Belt (main): 7" - 9"
Belt (ends): 4" - 7"
Barbettes: 6" - 10"
Turrets: 8" - 12"
Secondary guns: 3.75" - 7"
CT: 9"
Machinery: 2-shaft VTE, 8 Babcock and Wilcox boilers; 10,000ihp.  Coal:  1,800 tons
Speed: 17 knots
Armament:
NUMBER SIZE MOUNTS
4 12" / 45 cal. 2x2
8 8" / 45 cal. 4x2
8 7" / 45 cal. 8x1
12 3" / 50 cal. 12x1
6 3-pdr. 6x1
2 1-pdr. 2x1
2 21" TT below water
Compliment: 744

 

 

Sister ship:  MISSISSIPPI

 

 

Notes:  The two ships of the MISSISSIPPI class were authorized under the Navy Act of 3 March 1903.  They were an attempt to reproduce the main features of the preceding VERMONT class on 3,000 tons less displacement (as mandated by the U. S. Congress); the resulting ships were considered, at best, a qualified success.  At one point during their design process, it was considered that they be armed with 12 - 10" guns, in six twin turrets arranged with two at the ends and four in the "wing" positions -- a layout popular with designers of "all big gun" ship before 1905, but only put into practice by German and Japanese builders.  (Friedman, U. S. BATTLESHIPS, pg. 51 -- see Bibliography.)  But this design was rejected, and the ships were built as "cut-down" CONNECTICUT class battleships.  Originally, they had no mainmasts, but cage masts were fitted in 1909.  Following trials, it was shown that the bow casemates for the 3" guns were so "wet" as to be useless; upon their return, these guns were relocated to the tops of the forward 8" turrets.

 

Upon commissioning, IDAHO made several cruises to Cuba and in the Caribbean, and in 1910, took part in training exercises with elements of the British and French fleets in their home waters.  In October, 1912, IDAHO was placed in reserve at Philadelphia.  In May, 1914, with midshipmen aboard, she sailed to the Mediterranean and went though extensive training.  On 17 July 1914, IDAHO arrived at Villefranche.  Her crew was transferred to the MAINE, and she was decommissioned on 30 July and sold to Greece.  (The sale of the MISSISSIPPI and the IDAHO raised enough money for a third NEW MEXICO class battleship.)  IDAHO was renamed KILKIS, and she served as a coast defense ship with the Greek Navy.  In 1926, her boilers were retubed.  KILKIS was deleted from the effective list in 1932, and thereafter served as a gunnery training ship.  She served as a floating battery at Salamis, and on 23 April 1941, KILKIS (along with her sister LEMNOS) was sunk by German Ju-87 dive bombers.

 

Pictures

navis_310_idaho_b_1906_-_01.jpg (12100 bytes) Navis 310
navis_310_idaho_b_1906_-_02.jpg (23707 bytes) Navis 310
navis_310_idaho_b_1906_-_03.jpg (19231 bytes) Navis 310
navis_310a_idaho_b_1911_-_01.jpg (22873 bytes) Navis 310a
navis_310a_idaho_b_1911_-_02.jpg (14961 bytes) Navis 310a
navis_310a_idaho_b_1911_-_03.jpg (17387 bytes) Navis 310a
navis_310a_idaho_b_1911_-_04.jpg (18334 bytes) Navis 310a
navis_310a_idaho_b_1911_-_05.jpg (16912 bytes) Navis 310a
navis_310a_idaho_b_1911_-_06.jpg (18450 bytes) Navis 310a
navis_310a_idaho_b_1911_-_07.jpg (25644 bytes) Navis 310a