for Fun Miscellaneous
Tanks Trains Contact Me
Sister ships: BERMUDA, CEYLON, FIJI, GAMBIA, JAMAICA, KENYA, MAURITIUS, NEWFOUNDLAND, NIGERIA, TRINIDAD
Pennant number: 66
Notes: The ships of the FIJI class (also known as the "COLONY class") were more compact than the preceding British 6" cruisers, and in October, 1941, the Admiralty considered them to be the best pattern for future cruisers. The after turrets were mounted one deck lower than the EDINBURGH class, and the ammunition supply was much improved. The FIJI class were the first British cruisers built with a transom stern. Tactical diameter was 750 yards at 14 knots. While considered quite seaworthy, the class were "wet" ships in anything more than calm weather. Three of the class - CEYLON, NEWFOUNDLAND and UGANDA were built to a modified three-turret design (with 9 - 6" guns instead of 12), and had an extra quad "pom-pom" AA mount in its place. Later, the "X" 6" turret was removed from BERMUDA and JAMAICA (in 1944) and MAURITIUS and KENYA (in 1945) and their AA armament augmented. UGANDA received two more quad "pom-poms" in 1944, as well as 20 - 20mm AA guns in twin mounts.
Upon commissioning, UGANDA served with Home Fleet; later in 1943, she was transferred to the Mediterranean. There, at Salerno Bay, she was attacked on 13 September 1943 by German bombers using FX 1400 guided AP bombs. One of these weapons hit UGANDA, completely passing through the ship and exploding under the aft engine room, wrecking this and putting three of her shafts out of action. UGANDA was taken to the United States for repairs, which took nearly 14 months. On 21 October 1944, UGANDA was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy. She was "winterized" for service in colder waters, with more insulation added, and steam heating for her weapons and deck fixtures. For the remainder of the war, UGANDA served with the Pacific Fleet. Following the war, she continued in service with the R.C.N., and served as a training ship based out of Halifax. On 14 January 1952, she was renamed QUEBEC. She received little in the way of further alterations throughout the remainder of her service life. QUEBEC was sold for breaking up in 1960, and was scrapped at Osaka in February, 1961.